Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint!!!!!!
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2021 13:49:37 +0000

Hi Ebrahim Qasem,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint!!!!!! Hi good afternoon,

I have a complaint for the bad service,, seen last december i have order
one of my order  bag still have the magnet so its ok i understand becoz it
was last year but this time again its happened today June 6 when they
deliver my order 2 bags still have magnet again, so what im supposed to do
for these bag how i will remove this magnet? And i need to bring in ur shop
and the shop still closed becoz of this pandemic....
And the problem if we will force to removed this magnet the bag it will be
broke so we dont have choice to remove this magnet,,,and if i will return
this items i need to wait for 45 days,so its useless to order online if
always like this happened....
Yesterday i already called in ur costumer service i report about the magnet
last year december,..that issue its fine i understand but again its
happened,,, the problem 2 bag's so how we will remove this magnet....its
really really bad service this time?????

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2678365