Subject: Ticket Assigned - Missing Items Order #6366355401
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 05:22:18 +0000

Hi Ebrahim Qasem,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Missing Items Order #6366355401 Dears,

I would like to inform you that there is a missing item that was not
delivered to me with the whole package.

On 14th Nov 2021 I made an online purchase from the online shopping portal. I
collected the package from the nearest store at my neighborhood "*Al
Takhasusi Street Branch, North Al Maather", *the order was supposed to
include 4 items, however unfortunately, when I checked the package I found
that an item from the list of my purchase was missing.

The order No. is 6366355401 and the missing item is "*Intimates **Lace
Night Dress with V-neck and Short Sleeves" *which consists of two pieces as
per the product description * (see below snapshot)*

 I have received only one piece (the external one), however the internal
piece was not received *(see snapshot below)*

I enclosed all the order details together with the snapshots. I would be
grateful if you would supply me with the lost item.

Kindly look into the matter and resolve it as soon as possible. I'm looking
forward to hearing from you.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3408061