Subject: Ticket Assigned - Sold faulty stock - order# 9513996172
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 16:39:11 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Sold faulty stock - order# 9513996172 Hi there,

Exactly 2 months ago, I purchased 2 pairs of Kappa pants (60 AED each).
After washing the black pair 3-4 times (inside-out, cold wash), I noticed
little tears on the pants around the thighs, ancle, and knees. I threw the
pants away. I thought perhaps this material is very sensitive and may have
gotten damaged if washed with pants that have a zipper etc. So I made sure
to wash the grey pair with clothing that doesn't have a zipper but a few
washes later I have the same issue. Therefore it seems both pants are made
from faulty material.

I went to the store to show a staff member the quality of the grey pants
and to suggest they stop selling it. They recommended I send this email to
get a refund on the pants.

Please see photos attached. two photos show the tears and 1 photo is far
away so that you can confirm the pants are indeed kappa / same as the order
number.

I expect to be sent replacement pants or a refund as these pants shouldn't
sustain such damage in such a short amount of time; 4-5 washes only.

Regards,

Reema Aridi
Abu Dhabi, UAE
+971 525 229966

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3786979