Subject: Ticket Assigned - Delay in delivery #9521299855
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 16:16:43 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Delay in delivery #9521299855 Hi,

I ordered few products on 29th Dec 2021 with order #9521299855 for which
the guaranteed delivery was 30th Dec 2021.

I received message on my registered mobile number 0529538674 on 29th Dec
that the products are out for delivery around 2pm and I kept waiting whole
day at home.However around 10:45 pm I received another message saying the
product couldn't be delivered and the reason wasn't clear. Till this time,
I do not have any update on delivery.

I called customer care today and to my surprise, they said me it needs 2-3
days from order date.

When the specified delivery date cannot be met, why was it confirmed to
deliver on next day. Rather than waiting for 2-3 days, I would have
directly visited the store instead.

At the outset, I need my order to be delivered by 30th Dec 2021 as committed

Thanks & Regards,
Aditi S

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3693379