Subject: Ticket Assigned - unjustiufied Delay Delivery of 5 items from Order #1612479354
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 18:59:34 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  unjustiufied Delay Delivery of 5 items from Order #1612479354 Hello support team.

ONn12th of this month I placed Order #1612479354 for 5 items with a
promise of delivery on 17th. I received 3 small items through Aramex but
the other main Items are still pending.

To me this a breach of the order conditions which I did not expect from a
profound organization. It is also a frustration for me as your customer for
the following reasons:
1) Your tracking system has no indication of the delivery of the items.
2) When calling your call center, they have no clue if the items left the
stores to Oman or not.
3)There is no contact from any of your delivery team as when they will come
for installation.

Looking forward to receiving a call (*NOT A SILENT E-MAIL) *to inform me
about the date and time of delivery.

Kind regards
Salim Alaisary
gsm: 99414335

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3392884