Subject: Ticket Assigned - Return request for order 9511198627
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 14:42:38 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Return request for order 9511198627 Hi
I recently bought some item's from ur app and unfortunately 1 of the
product which is a inner wear was ordered in large size.

I have not even opened the pack as i already realized it will not fit in.

I do understand the hygiene factor but i have not opened it forget about
trying it.
I am attaching the pictures for ur better understanding.

Please advise how to return this with a Medium size of the same item.

I think its in the right condition to return or i wouldn't have requested
to return it.

Pfa the pictures and let me know.

U can get in touch with me if u need any clarification or other details.

This will be a total waste of money. Hence i hope u will accept this
exception request.

Thanks
Sudeep kumar

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3333040