Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint on return request
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 14:38:12 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint on return request 04.11.21

To
Whom it may concern
Max Fashion
Dubai

Respected Sir /Madam,

Greetings
I have placed a return request for the order 9508678512 a week back. I have
received the order on 21.10.21. Unfortunately the fitting was not right. So
the next day I requested for a return. But when the agent came I wasn't
there at home. So I called the customer care and said I would like to
return the product at store and then on 29.10.21 I visited the max store at
Deira City Centre. Sorry to say but the service was very poor and they were
rude. They said they couldn't take the product back as return request is on
process. I had to bring the item back home. And I requested another return.
Its been around a week, I've been calling the customer service consecutive
times for return,still I have not received any call from the courier agent.
The purchase is past 14 days now. And I am sorry to say your service is
very poor. I hope you would take the matter seriously. And please do the
needful as soon as possible.

With regards
Nasma

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3313659