Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complain for Order # 6361823148 - Tracking # SD003375964
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 09:11:14 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complain for Order # 6361823148 - Tracking # SD003375964 Hi,

I would like to complain about the delivery for order tracking number
SD003375964.

Order was out for delivery since 29th Oct and remains undelivered.
 Drivers are not contacting me at an appropriate time and sometimes even
without contacting returning my shipment to the warehouse.

Driver No. +966 58 144 0784:

As per status shipment was out for delivery on 29th Oct and no one
contacted me and status changed to undelivered.   This guy contacted me on
Saturday 30th Oct. I sent him all the details but not delivered.

Driver No. +966 54 538 9783:

This guy contacted me on Sunday at 06:35 pm (very odd timing for delivery),
saying that I have a shipment from Extra.com??? I never ordered anything
from Extra.com.   I called him and he insisted that I have a shipment from
Extra.com,   however I asked him to bring it but next day status again
changed to undelivered.

an today i got an automated call from your company asking if I need the
shipment or not???? why wouldn't I?  I paid for this...!!!! and because of
your unprofessional delivery people, why am I suffering???

Please take it seriously or else I would have to accelerate this negligence.

Thanks.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3298211