Subject: Ticket Assigned - why cancel
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 11:07:47 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  why cancel Dear Team
please check, why some items in my order are canceled.

Sorry, we had to cancel part of your order.

Hi Muhammad Irfan, unfortunately, we had to remove some items from your
Order 6361854506
<https://www.centrepointstores.com/sa/en/my-account/order/6361854506?utm_source=hybris&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=internal_partial_cancellation_CREDIT_CARD_SA_en>
.

if items are not available in-store or warehouse, then I should not able to
see them now by revised price.

For example below 1 item is canceled. The price of this item when I placed
the order was 33 SAR. now the same Item is available in 221 SAR.

I need to know, why these items are canceled. if they are "out of stock"
then these items should not be available at a new price.

-- 

*Regards:Muhammad Irfan Khan*
*+966-54-2921349*

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3272380