Subject: Ticket Assigned - Re: Replacement for item for order number 9666827373
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 02:36:17 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Re: Replacement for item for order number 9666827373 Hi,

I have called about 5 times until I have initiated this return request and
no one has called back or returned my call for the pickup. It has been
almost a month since I had sent this email. Every time I call, the call
Centre agent  always says that they have put in an urgent request for the
pickup and that the product will be picked up in 2-3 days and now it has
already been 20 days.

We spoke to an agent named Farah today and teb same response was provided.
In case there are issues for you to have the item picked up by your
courier, ease refund the money as the issue for pick up is your issue and
not mine. Process the refund and then you can have the item picked up at
your leisure.

Thanks
Avinash

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021, 22:27 Avinash <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The product Adidas  girls running shoes with hook and loop closure in the
> the order 9666827373 was sent with the incorrect size. I had purchased
> size 31 but was sent size 30 instead. Please replace with correct size.
>
> Thanks
> Avinash
>

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2773677