Subject: Ticket Assigned - Customer Grievance - UAE Khalid Bin waleed Max Store- Dubai & Al Wahds store- Sharjah.
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 07:55:17 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Customer Grievance - UAE Khalid Bin waleed Max Store- Dubai & Al Wahds store- Sharjah. Dear,

I am writing this mail with great disappointment, I have been regular
customer of Max from years,

Very recently bought an Item for my from your Khalid Bin walid outlet
during the recent sale and the size came wrong, as my wife ws pregnant is
couldn't make her try the dress before purchase(She was on rest), then I
went the same outlet for exchange with my wife, at that time the outlet guy
told they dont have the size we require, and gave us creditnote saying that
we can go to al Wahda branch Sharjah and get the item with the credit note.
I went to Al Wahda branch with the credit note, Now on exchange they Al
Wahda branch and is saying that I will have to pay extra for the same item
since the sale is over.

As a customer this really not acceptable to us, I had to do suttle service
with my 7 months pregnant wife to to khalid bin waleed store and Al Wahda
branch. Hope not accepting the exchange and miss communicating with the
customer is not a part of MAX policy.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2601291