Subject: Ticket Assigned - Table lamp to be returned
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 02:58:38 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Table lamp to be returned Contacted

Hello, I’ve recently bought a set of table lamp from your online store.
There was a shortage for the item so only 1 lamp got delivered. I had
removed the packaging and kept it on the table but I’m not satisfied with
it and want to return it.

I had bought other items which had total worth of 952 aed. I just want to
return this one item. Since the receipt was for all these items I have
misplaced it. Can you pls let me know if I can still return the product?
Please I’m not satisfied with  the product and I’m willing to take another
set of table lamp from your store but not this one.

I would appreciate if your team can allow to take back the item without the
original invoice. My online invoice and details are attached to this email.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Safanah Dinu

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2558551