Subject: Ticket Assigned - order # 9657053871 quality issues
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 May 2021 06:54:02 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  order # 9657053871 quality issues Dear Customer care team,

Further to our my last order, I am exremely disappointed with quality of
some of the items purchased from centrepoint.

One of baby clothing purchased was torn out at the back and looks like old
stock.

Two other baby pants purchased was of very low size and does nt fit.

One of T shirt purchased was loose size not fit.

I have requested for return of 2 items. I called and informed your customer
care that the item tag was removed and washed once prior to trial.
As per your policy, you cannot take back item for which tag had removed.

Normally we try it before wash but due to COVID hygine issues we washed it
and then checked.

No issues, but just to inform you that I am extremely disappointed with
quality of some of items and not to opt centrepoint online shoping anymore.

thank you.

Vinod
056 324 5216

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2537424