Subject: Ticket Assigned - Blenders not working properly: Urgent revert request
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 09:21:41 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Blenders not working properly: Urgent revert request To the concerned officer,

I have purchased two blenders (photos attached) from Centre Point - Mall of
the Emirates store and have been quite disappointed as both are not
working.
The black one was used a few times and then it ceased to operate.
The pink one has not been used even once.

I had given it as a gift to my daughter and feel very disappointed that a
good quality brand such as Centrepoint is actually keeping sub-standard
products.

I would like to have an explanation as to how this has happened and what
remedial measures will be taken.

I will be going on Christmas leave shortly and would appreciate a response
at the earliest.

Regards
Sameera Fernandes
Mobile: +971 50 8194335

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5473852