Subject: Ticket Assigned - Very bad shopping experience
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 10:05:05 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Very bad shopping experience Contacted

Dears Centerpoint

After greetings,

Kindly be informed that i am really so upset about the last delivery i got.
Honestly the last orders become unprofessional at all.

This time i found this issues :

1- Damage on the underwear
2 - i recieved a T-Shirt and i got it very ugly and looks very old. I was
disappointed at all.

3- the packaging was not organized at all. I have order 9 items and when
you open it it really looks very bad.

Many times i came to centerpoint after getting my online order and i dont
thing anyone well like to do any more online shopping with centerpoint

I am spending time to come to the store. I am using my own car and the
petrol to come many time in order to resolve the issue.

I believe we pay to get a service but actually we are paying and we are not
getting a service and we also pay extra amount from our own money pocket
for other things and our time becomes waste

I have just recieved the order today and i am not happy.

In addition, any order above 20 RO we get free delivery but thier is an
issue with the delivery companies. Some times they wany us to meet them at
a specific location where they dont come to the location assigned.  Also ,
they send for us a message to deliver and they want us to be at the
location at the same time when they send to us.

Really disappointed and i am honestly not happy at all and i am not going
to buy anymore from centerpoint. Besides that, if some one ask me i will
never ever advice him to buy from centerpoint and i will share with him my
experience.

Kindly i send for your required action urgently

For more information you can contact me on

00 968 99117944

Regards,
Ali Al-Lawati

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5080162