Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order number: 9589423508-
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 09:01:51 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order number: 9589423508- Dear Concern,

This is worst experience anyone could have ever had with any company.

I am still waiting for the CRIb ordered for my baby with was ordered on 8th
OCT & supposed to be delivered on 10th Oct. Despite multiple call on
centerpoint customer support I have not received any revert.

I have ordered multiple items in this ordered which were supposed to used
as accessories for the CRIB ordered in the order.

As you have not yet supplied the order we would request you to cancel the
complete order, as other items are meaning less for us without the crib.

This would be my last attempt to handle this situation with understanding.
If I do not get a revert by morning I will have option other than doing  a
Formal Legal complaint for this subject.

-- 
Thanks & regards,

*Akhilesh Kumar Misra*
*0562778279*

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4995822