Subject: Ticket Assigned - Return request
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 09:01:51 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Return request ---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: saher ali <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022, 9:59 am
Subject: Return request
To: <[email-masked]>

Good morning
I have placed an order  on 4th oct trying to return two item since then
Went to mall they couldn’t process return then tried calling so many times
but because of the status of order return request can’t be processed kindly
change the status of my order from processing to delivered. So that I can
process my return request or  please return two item of my order one is
Wide leg jeans
Other is purple dress
Order number is 9588922938
Saher hina ali
Registered number is 0566750154

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5001880