Subject: Ticket Assigned - Urgent - Buy 1 Get 1 Free Promotion Issue
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 12:02:59 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Urgent - Buy 1 Get 1 Free Promotion Issue Hi,
Yesterday I was trying to purchase a toy (remote control car MKB 2.4 GHz)
online via centrepoint website, Qatar. There was promotion ticker on the
top of website showing "Buy 1 Get 1 Ends In .... .... ..." which was
appearing for all products. But when I selected the toy and proceeded for
check out the promotion was not reflecting on the bill even after
specifying 2 as quantity the bill appears for two not one.

I then called the help desk twice and they confirmed that offer is valid
for toys also and it may be a technical error and I have to report it with
snapshot. I am attaching the snapshot with this email for your reference.

Please note the offer will end in few hours, please look into this issue
urgently .

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Syed Owais Ali
+974 33282974

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4887572