Subject: Ticket Assigned - Request for a stroller belt
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 06:06:22 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Request for a stroller belt Greetings

Hope you are doing well

This email is regarding to a baby stroller I bought from Centrepoint. I
bought this Junior Jazz stroller and bought a box piece from the store and
gifted it to my sister in India. When she opened she found that one of the
safety belt was missing ( pictures attached below).

However, we didn’t realize the belt was missing unless we opened the box
that only happened when my sister did it.  I went to the store they said
they can’t help me with this, However it’s not our fault in any ways as the
belt was initially missing and most importantly ITS ABOUT THE SAFETY OF THE
CHILD DUE TO WHICH WE ARE NOT ABLE TO USE THE STROLLER.

So, Please i request you to help me out with this ASAP. I am not asking for
much just help me with the belt for the safety of my child.

Awaiting your response

Warm Regards

Sana Zaveri
0554585499

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4639806