Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fwd: Order No. 9575987575_ Wrong Sizes received for Briefs - To be returned
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 16:22:10 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fwd: Order No. 9575987575_ Wrong Sizes received for Briefs - To be returned Team

I just realized that my following email has been bounced due to mis-spelt
email address.

Kindly take action for return of faulty delivery as conveyed in trailing
mail.

Regards
Jason
056 480 0507

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Jason Miranda <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, Jul 10, 2022, 00:37
Subject: Order No. 9575987575_ Wrong Sizes received for Briefs - To be
returned
To: <[email-masked]>

Team

I had ordered Medium Size briefs (Pack of 3). however the package delivered
to me had 3 briefs of 3 different sizes (M, L and XL). Photographs of goods
as received is attached herewith for your reference.

Kindly arrange for return collection of these items and arrange for refund.

Besides when I had purchased the goods there was some special promotion
which is not available now. Hence while issuing refund, you need to
compensate for the promo discount as well as the fault is not from Customer
side.

Reagrds
Jason
+971 56 480 0507

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4616658