Subject: Ticket Assigned - Requesting Warranty claim - 9676780050
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 16:22:10 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Requesting Warranty claim - 9676780050 Greetings Team Centrepoint,
This is Viswalingam Vedamoorthy. Please be noted that, On July 7th 2021 I
have purchased Huawei Freebuds Pro - (Sn # NTQXC21219003039) Bluetooth
Earbuds from Centrepoint Online store with the Order Number #(9676780050).
It’s been delivered on 14th July 2021. Please find the attached screenshot
of order reference.
On 7th July 2022 (yesterday) by evening my Earbuds were not getting
charged. So I called customer care at Centrepoint. I explained everything
to the Support personal, she replied to me to visit any nearest store for
getting support as it has warranty validity till 14th of July 2022.
This morning I visited the Sharjah Oasis Mall Centrepoint store, the staff
refused to accept the product. They are replying as we are a sales partner
and we can't help in this issue.
If we are purchasing from your store the store has to support the
customers, but they are trying to escape it seems.
Kindly look into this issue and try to resolve it ASAP. Awaiting for a
favorable reply.

Thanks & Regards
*Viswa*
*0505905232*

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4601346