Subject: Ticket Assigned -
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 16:23:46 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.   Dear Centrepoint

I am really disappointed in your lack of awareness as well as lack of
leadership in your festival city branch.

I had a terrible experience in your store on the 10th June 2022 where my
son got severely injured because of your stores negligence.

My wife and I was shopping and we had as mentioned by your manager “brand
new trolley” we adding some clothes into the trolley without any issue, as
well my son being supposedly safe in the compartment of the trolley.

We took a turn with the trolley and the next thing we knew he had fallen
right out onto his face, because your trolley had only 3 wheels! The front
right wheel which was broken off and we did not notice until he fell out
whilst we took a turn!

I am utterly disappointed by your manager who just said these are brand new
trolleys they received 2 weeks ago and he did not know it was broken, he
then went onto examining the trolley whilst I left out of pure frustration!
However he did ask should he get emergency services and went onto to give
my son water.

Please find the pictures attached of my sons face!!!!

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4479892