Subject: Ticket Assigned - Wrong items online order
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 16:15:48 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Wrong items online order Dear Sir/Madam,

I have contacted you few days back for wrong items/sizes sent to me when
ordering online. Well you told me that your staff are well trained and they
check the items before going out of the store and you mentioned to me to
proceed with my new online order in which you guarantee that no issues will
be again.

However; now this is the fourth complain, I have proceeded with the new
order (9570060729) in which I ordered a chenille knit shrug with long
sleeves light blue color, size 8 which costs 48 aed and what I received in
reality is something totally different, I have received a brown/orange
sweatshirt.

Can you please explain where is the professionality in their work if every
order I do I should go back to splash stores refund the items this a
waste of time, money and effort for me.

I have attached both my order and the sweatshirt I have received wrong.

This is too much for me and I promise it will be the last time I order
online from splash company.

I have mentioned the whole order number above and my contact number is
0588447265.

Best Regards,

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4354505