Subject: Ticket Assigned - CANCELLATION OF ORDERS
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 16:41:39 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  CANCELLATION OF ORDERS Good Morning,

Just a few minutes ago I saw an offer through centerpoint online store.
It's a pretty good offer so immediately i added to my cart and purchase it.
But before heading to the payment when you can see how much it is and you
can ask to send otp suddenly it error so i was thinking that it wasnt
palced and i did it 3x in a row just to get the offer. Then when i checked
my history of orders it shows like this. I would like to cancel the same 3
orders VERIFYING PAYMENT which is not necessary. Facing the same problem
for uncompleted transaction. Here is the screenshot.

6136432324
6136432318
6136432315

Thank You & God Bless

Best Regards,
John Kevin Ambrocio
+966583040547 (KSA)

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4158963