Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fwd: EV- Baby shop Incident
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 09:23:28 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fwd: EV- Baby shop Incident Dear Babyshop Management,

Further to the incident happened on March 18, 2022 around 3:00 PM in your
store (Baby Shop- City Centre branch),  in reference to the disregard
Safety Precautions by your store *which represent a safety hazard and
health compromise to  my son that cause an emergency case*, *I hereby*
inform you that this will be considered as a Formal Complaint Letter and to
raise your awareness.

I know that as a mother I should keep my child with me all the time,
however we know that toddler within his age limit is sometimes
uncontrollable. Y*our entire walk ways must be maintained free of loosen /
unattended items for any uncontrollable accident may happen like this.*

Please see below picture on how this incident resulted. (Kindly keep the
pictures confidential and don’t share to anyone)

Therefore, I am kindly requesting to please send me a copy of the CCTV
footages within the timings as stated above.

Your cooperation will be highly appreciated.

 I would like to say thank you for your staff who assisted us and called
the Ambulance to bring my son, Eduard to the hospital. Really appreciate
it.

Regards,

Russel Anne Marquez

+97450189365

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4049528