Subject: Ticket Assigned - In Store - Promotion in valid
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 16:34:52 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  In Store - Promotion in valid Dear Centrepoint Team,

Greetings of the day

I would like to share my in store experience on the promotion received by
email.  the story followed.

I had a pick and collect order from Centerpoint on 29th of March, the same
day I received an email (attached) mentioning that I will get a discount on
the next in store purchase. Accordingly, yesterday I visited Al zahia for
shopping . So I thought of using this promotion and walked into Centerpoint
and did some shopping and moved to the billing counter.  When I showed this
email to the guy who attended me, Surprisingly he said this promotion
stopped long back, when i said i had received this email hardly a week ago,
he was like go and check with centerpoint online. In short, I did not get
any benefit from this email.

The worst bad I felt was the behavior from the cashier, he never tried
to convince me nor answer my queries, instead he was trying to ignore me.
Hope i would have understood if there was a rush at the cash counter.
Luckily I was the only customer there at that time.

After I spoke with one guy who looked like a manager or something, he was
also like check with the online team, they are entirely different from us.

Hoping  for a reply very soon and a compensation benefit for the bad
experienece

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4138835