Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order#9563381714 DELIVERY DELAYED
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 15:52:04 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order#9563381714 DELIVERY DELAYED Hi,

My order#9563381714 is being undelivered to me. Since 30th March 2022.
It was supposed to be delivered on 31-03-2022 but i received message that
it will be delivered on 30th March.
However it is not delivered and I received message that we were unable to
deliver because customer no response. I complain on help line too many
times that i did not receive any call.
One of your customer care person lodge complain and give me this reference
number 4106311.

Now it was supposed to be delivered today 1st APRIL 2022, I received
message in morning but again , i received the message that we were unable
to deliver because of future date delivery.

I have attached screen shots about delivery messages.

Regards,

Zeshan Haider
050-4295643

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4110743