Subject: Ticket Assigned - Refund Issue!!
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 16:31:59 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Refund Issue!! Order number is 9559224492
<https://www.centrepointstores.com/ae/en/my-account/order/9559224492?utm_source=hybris&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cnc_order_confirmation_AE_en>
.
Juniors Textured Sneakers with Hook and Loop Closure and LED Lights

*Dear Sir,*

The above item was returned via Aramex courier on 2-March.
The tracking number: *47387581732.*

It happened that I submitted a return request and then canceled it because
I plan to return it personally in the store. However, the Aramex pick-up
guy showed up earlier next day (on 2-March) and I handed over the item to
him.

Now, it is requested to issue my refund on priority basis.
A prompt and positive response in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.
Hayder Ali
050-7600686

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3995042