Subject: Ticket Assigned - Previous Order
From: Mothercare-BAH <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 16:40:32 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Previous Order I ordered the Nanu Stoller from Boots (Item Code 10288571) which was
delivered on 3/7/21.
This buggy, as well as a high chair, were ordered for us to use on the one
day a week we look after our granddaughter from January 2022.
We started using the Stoller last month (it was still wrapped up until
then) and has been used a total of 4 times.
However, we have realised that it appears to be faulty. The folding
mechanism does not work properly, no one can seem to get it to fold. The
strap clasp seems to be almost impossible to use and I have actually
trapped my fingers twice causing blood blisters.
I did think initially it might just be a case of getting used to it but I
think these are genuine problems with the plastic moulded parts which seem
too big to slot into each other.
The rain cover is also extremely difficult to attach.
Would you please be able to advise how I can return the item?
Kind regards,
Sue Scholey

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3925361