Subject: Ticket Assigned - Delay in delivery | Purchase date: 29 Jan 2022
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 14:58:32 +0000

Hi Abdulqader Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Delay in delivery | Purchase date: 29 Jan 2022 Dear Team,

We need an immediate response on this matter. We have placed an order below
items on 29th Jan 2022 around 9 pm by visiting the Deira City Centre outlet.

The delivery was promised to be on 01st Feb 2022, which is like the 3rd
after purchase, we agreed to this and I took an off day to receive my
package.

It is quite disappointing that nobody from the Customer Service or delivery
Team has shown the basic courtesy to call me and inform me that delivery
will be delayed.

I waited until 2 pm (as the delivery window provided to me was between 12
pm - 2 pm), upon calling i got to know that my items will be delayed 2 more
days.

Dilshad  A M
055 2140 797
055 6077 267

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3837797