Subject: Ticket Assigned - They cancelled my order and they didn't contact me
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 05:12:18 +0000

Hi Mohammed Altahir,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  They cancelled my order and they didn't contact me Order Number: 4546048136

Dear all,
I made an order from max's app on 29/03/2021
On 1/04/2021 I received a text on WhatsApp to send my location so the
driver can send me the shipment I wasn't available so I asked the one who
texted me if we can schedule the delivery as it was written on the app that
I can do so, I also talked to a customer service agent through the belt in
chat and told him if he can schedule the delivery to be at 2/04/2021
anytime before 2:30 pm
The agent told me that he cannot schedule it but he will make the courier
contact me so I can schedule the delivery date.
On 31/03/2021 no one called me not the delivery guy, not the courier not
even anyone from max or center point
On 1/04/2021 a delivery guy texted me saying he is from center point and he
has my shipment and will deliver it now, I also wasn't home, he asked me
when do I want it to be delivered I asked him if he can deliver it Saturday
3/04/2021 before 2:30 pm he said okay
On 3/04/ 2021 someone called me at 5:46 pm I was busy could not answer the
phone at 8 pm I think the same number called me again couldn't answer also
so I texted the number on WhatsApp he told me that he is from max and he
will deliver my shipment now but I wasn't available after 2:30 pm as I said
above.
After that, I contacted the customer service again through the app and I
also contacted the customer service through the number provided in the app
to tell them about the issue and file a complaint because I asked twice for
a specific date and time for delivery and they tried to deliver the
shipment in a different date and different time.
I don't have a problem if they want to deliver it at a different time all I
asked for was that they tell me 2 or 3 hours before delivery so I can
return home to receive the shipment then back to work.

After the complaint I made someone called me. I told him the issue, he told
me that after 3 times of trying to deliver it if the customer didn't
receive it we return it. I told him to not return it wasn't my fault and I
need the items and he told me they will try to deliver it again. This was
at 4/04/2021
Since then didn't receive anything about the shipment contacted you several
times through the chat and called customer service and didn't receive any
reply.
I contacted you again on 11/04/2021 through the chat I was talking to an
agent called hamza I told him that I need the items in the shipment and he
told me that the shipment will be delivered in 48 hours max.
12/04/2021 no one contacted me I suddenly received a text that says "Hi, we
missed you! We were unable to deliver your item on 2021-04-12 17:21:53. We
will re-attempt the delivery."
And a minute after and my order was canceled.
Please I need the items tried to reorder it again but it was out of stock.
they didn't even contact me before canceling the order.

You will find attached to this email a screenshot of the text I received,
the part of the app that says that I can schedule the delivery, and the
conversation I had with the customer service through the app

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021, 10:37 am
Subject: Hello! You have unread messages
To: <[email-masked]>

Hey rania!

Check out what you missed while you were away

*Bot: * Hi, welcome!
*Bot: * Please enter your name
*Customer: * rania
*Bot: * Hi Rania ,what do you need help with?
*Customer: * Order Status
*Bot: * Please choose your location
*Customer: * Qatar
*Bot: * Please enter your order number to continue
*Customer: * 4546048136
*Bot: *

*Your order status is : *Processing

If you have not received your order, Home Delivery takes 5 to 8 days.

You can easily track your order from *My Account* > *Order History*.
Please note, during sale periods, your order may take longer to arrive.

*Bot: * Was I able to resolve your query?
*Customer: * No
*Bot: * Would you like to still talk to one of our agent?
*Customer: * Yes
*Bot: * Please enter your email
*Customer: * [email-masked]
*Bot: * Please enter your number
*Customer: * 0097450391400

Hi abdallah
I received a text today on WhatsApp from center point
Thay asked me to send my location so they can deliver my shipment

I did share my address
I am trying to contact them so i can change the delivery date but they
aren't responding
I wont be available today so i asked him if the shipment can be delivered
tomorrow before 2:30
But he didn't respond

Yes

Bin mahmoud Zone22, Street850, building27, apartment216
2nd floor
But i want it to be delivered tomorrow before 2:30
Not today

I never receive a call they always text me on WhatsApp

Nothing else than you

*Bot: * Hi again!
*Bot: * Please enter your name
*Customer: * rania
*Bot: * Hi Rania ,what do you need help with?
*Customer: * Order Status
*Bot: * Please choose your location
*Customer: * Qatar
*Bot: * Please enter your order number to continue
*Customer: * 4546048136
*Bot: *

*Your order status is : *Processing

If you have not received your order, Home Delivery takes 5 to 8 days.

You can easily track your order from *My Account* > *Order History*.
Please note, during sale periods, your order may take longer to arrive.

*Bot: * Was I able to resolve your query?
*Customer: * No
*Bot: * Would you like to still talk to one of our agent?
*Customer: * Yes

Hi hamza
I contacted max chat before on Tuesday so i can make my shipment to be
delivered on Wednesday before 2:30pm
The agent told me that the courier will contact me to schedule the delivery

But no one contacted me the in Thursday the delivery guy texted me on
WhatsApp asking for the location but i wasn't home
Of course take your time

*Customer: * /startOver
*Bot: * Oops! Couldn't get that, am a new bot in town and learning with
time.
You can try rephrasing your question.
*Bot: * Hi Rania ,what do you need help with?
*Customer: * Order Status
*Bot: * Please choose your location
*Customer: * Qatar
*Bot: * Please enter your order number to continue
*Customer: * 4546048136
*Bot: *

*Your order status is : *Processing

If you have not received your order, Home Delivery takes 5 to 8 days.

You can easily track your order from *My Account* > *Order History*.
Please note, during sale periods, your order may take longer to arrive.

*Bot: * Was I able to resolve your query?
*Customer: * No
*Bot: * Would you like to still talk to one of our agent?
*Customer: * Yes

Hi
Hi
Hello
اهلا

Hi abdalla

I was just talking with hamza minutes ago but the connection lost
I contacted max chat before on Tuesday so i can make my shipment to be
delivered on Wednesday before 2:30pm
But no one contacted me the in Thursday the delivery guy texted me on
WhatsApp asking for the location but i wasn't home

And today i asked the guy who called me if it can be delivered on Saturday
before 2:30
I just want to schedule the delivery so i can be available when they send it
Hi
?

I already informed them
I told them to send it today before 2:30
The guy called today at 5:43
I wasn't home
Bin mahmoud

The agent who was talking to me before you asked for the suitable date and
time for delivery
I don't want to make any complaints or anything
I just want to schedule the suitable date and time for delivery

Yes but when will it be delivered
Will it be delivered tomorrow or on Monday or after that?
I just want to know to stay home and wait for it

Take all the tima you need just please try to inform me a day or something
before the delivery so i can be available
I will wait for him tomorrow
But if he isn't delivering it tomorrow i I'll need someone to confirm with
me the exact date of delivery

I did tell him which time and date was suitable for me
All i am saying is i am not available 7days/ week so if you can inform the
courier to contact me a day before delivery so i can be available

So
When i ask that the shipment to be delivered on Saturday before 2:30 and
they try to deliver it at 5:43 is this an attempt!!

Okay thanks

*Bot: * Hi again!
*Bot: * Please enter your name
*Customer: * rania
*Bot: * Hi Rania ,what do you need help with?
*Customer: * Order Status
*Bot: * Please choose your location
*Customer: * Qatar
*Bot: * Please enter your order number to continue
*Customer: * 4546048136
*Bot: *

*Your order status is : *Processing

If you have not received your order, Home Delivery takes 5 to 8 days.

You can easily track your order from *My Account* > *Order History*.
Please note, during sale periods, your order may take longer to arrive.

*Bot: * Was I able to resolve your query?
*Customer: * No
*Bot: * Would you like to still talk to one of our agent?
*Customer: * Yes

*Bot: * Hi again!
*Bot: * Please enter your name
*Customer: * rania
*Bot: * Hi Rania ,what do you need help with?
*Customer: * Order Status
*Bot: * Please choose your location
*Customer: * Qatar
*Bot: * Please enter your order number to continue
*Customer: * 4546048136
*Bot: *

*Your order status is : *Processing

If you have not received your order, Home Delivery takes 5 to 8 days.

You can easily track your order from *My Account* > *Order History*.
Please note, during sale periods, your order may take longer to arrive.

*Bot: * Was I able to resolve your query?
*Customer: * No
*Bot: * Would you like to still talk to one of our agent?
*Customer: * Yes

Hi hamza how are you?
There was a problem in my last order about the delivery time
I contacted the customer service through the chat and tried to schedule the
delivery

Okay take your time

It's been more than a week since the last time they tried to send the
shipment

No one contacted me for delivery since 3/4/2021
Will it be possible to pick it up from any branch

Okay but if they didn't deliver it in 48 hours
Can i pick it up form the store?

Okay is there anything i can do if they didn't deliver it in 48 days
Because i really need the item's i ordered

Yes that's what the call center have been saying to me the entire week
Thay said they will contact the courier and the shipment will be delivered
in 2 days max
It's been more than a week now

Okay but please don't mark my query as solved

Unread

Abdallah

Hi Rania  Thank you for contacting us. This's abdallah  We would be happy
to help you.
please share your address to update to the courier agent to delivery the
order

Abdallah

please advise us this your correct contact no # 97450391400
please share your address to arrange for delivery as soon as possible

Abdallah

if you receive a call from the courier agent, we request you to inform him
which time is suitable for you to receive your order.
be ensured the courier agent will calling you?
Do you have any other inquiries?

Abdallah

It was a pleasure to assist you. Thank you for shopping with us.
Have a wonderful day.

Hamza

Hi Rania,Good evening
Thank you for contacting us.This is Hamza. How may I help you?
May I request you to please stay on hold while I retrieve the information.

Hamza

Thank you for allowing me the time to check. I appreciate your patience.
Could you please provide me your suitable date and time for delivery ?
Hi, I'm not getting a response from you. Are we still connected?

Hamza

Hi (Rania), I have not received a response from you still, please confirm
if we are still connected?
As we have not received a response, this chat will be closed automatically.
Please feel free to get in touch with us in case of any unanswered query.

Abdallah

Hi  Rania Thank you for contacting us. This's abdallah  We would be happy
to help you.
Could you please provide me your suitable date and time for delivery ?
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused, please share with us
your address to arrange for delivery as soon as possible

Abdallah

could please share your address to update to delivery team and also if
receive call from the delivery agent we request to inform him which time is
suitable for you to receive your order
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused, We have forwarded your
query to the concerned team and will be in touch with you asap to assist
you in resolving this concern.

Abdallah

as we can see you want your order before 2:30 Please be assured as we have
now escalated this issue with our concern team to delivery your items We
request you to please allow us some time so we can work on this and do the
needful.
We appreciate your patience.

Abdallah

be assured we will do our best to resolving your issue as soon as possible
we request to allow us sometime to work on your issue you're currently out
for delivery maybe the courier agent will calling you tomorrow to receive
your order
*order

Abdallah

we truly sorry to inform you that we do not know which days the order will
delivery due to the order with the delivery agent also if receive call from
the delivery agent we request to inform him which time is suitable for you
to receive your order

Abdallah

We would like to inform that our courier team always ensures that 3
delivery attempts are made for an order on 3 different days.

Abdallah

Please be assured the delivery agent will calling you again
It was a pleasure to assist you. Thank you for shopping with us.
Have a wonderful day.

Hamza

Hi Rania,Good evening
Thank you for contacting us.This is Hamza. How may I help you with the
order 4546048136
Hi, I'm not getting a response from you. Are we still connected?

Hamza

As we have not received a response, this chat will be closed automatically.
Please feel free to get in touch with us in case of any unanswered query.

Hamza

Hi Rania,Good evening
Thank you for contacting us.This is Hamza. How may I help you with the
order 4546048136
May I request you to please stay on hold while I retrieve the information.
Thank you for allowing me the time to check. I appreciate your patience.
We have already escalated the issue to the concern team,and they arrange
the delivery time before 2:30

Hamza

I'll escalated again to make sure that the courier partner will contact you
asap
we will do our best to deliver the order within 48 hours
We appreciate your patience.
Sorry you will not be able to collect the order from the store as you
choose home delivery

Hamza

Please be assured that our team will contact the courier partner to deliver
the order within the time
You will be contacted asap,
Is there anything else I can help you?

Hamza

It was a pleasure to assist you. Thank you for shopping with us.
Have a wonderful day.

© Freshworks Inc

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2394068