Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order # 9516504015 - Terrible Experience!!
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 04:39:31 +0000

Hi Ali Atef,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order # 9516504015 - Terrible Experience!! I just wanted to share my very very bad experience I had with my online
order which have received in (Click and Collect) desk at City Centre Al
Zahia.
The oil bottle was damaged and has spoiled most of items and the lady
employee there was not supportive at all and she just wanted to give me the
stuff and go and asked me to go to the exchange desk and do whatever you
want till I asked a help from a manager there and that was only the good
point as he was very supportive and professional. (Have attached some
photos for your reference).
The other issue; it’s written on email that I will get a voucher which I
didn’t and had to ask the same lady about the same.
That was really disappointed and terrible experience which I will never
deal with you shop either online nor store, and didn’t even get a survey
after sales like any other professional company.

Ramadan Bastawy
+971566772441

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3515145