Subject: Ticket Assigned - Bad Experience - Discriminating Indian Customer by Philipino Sales Staff
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 12:10:28 +0000

Hi Ali Atef,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Bad Experience - Discriminating Indian Customer by Philipino Sales Staff Sir/ Madam,

Yesternight, I came to the Babyshop Showroom along with my wife at Old
Airport Road, behind Madinat Zayed Shopping Center, Abu Dhabi and was there
between 07:45pm to 08:15pm.

I wanted to purchase a baby crib which was found at the first floor.  I
called the male sales staff (Philipino) over there and requested him to
assist me how to operate it.  He replied me that he will come back and made
me to wait for a long time.  After that, he just left the first floor
without attending me.

So I went to the cash counter at ground floor and requested the lady sales
staff (Philipino) over there to send someone to assist me how to operate
the baby crib.  She pointed out the same male sales staff (Philipino), who
negligently left me with hatred discriminating me without attending me.
Immediately male sales staff (Philipino) staff arrogantly told me that,
already too many people are waiting in the first floor and again left
without attending me.  Nobody was found to be waiting for this useless
sales staff.  Customers were there selecting products on display.  I am the
only customer, who waited for a long time, just to get to know about how to
operate the Baby Crib.  Check your CCTV records and realise it.

I went to the first floor and waited for a long time and nobody is willing
to attend me.  Then again I came down and asked the staff at cash counter
and asked them, why sales staff is irresponsive and behaving very
arrogantly with disrespect to customer.  I never received any proper
response from the sales staff.

Then, I left the Babyshop store and I purchased the baby crib at another
shop.

I want to tell you onething.  If your Philipino staff will have
discrimination against the Indian Nationals and they don't want to
entertain Indian Customers, better have a notice board in front of your
shop, that Indian Customers will not be entertained.

Why are you wasting the time of Indian Customers like me.

Let your company practice discrimination against Indian Customers.  I am
not bothered.  There are too many shops in Abu Dhabi and I can get it from
there.

I will inform about the discrimination I suffered in the Babyshop to all my
friends and relatives, so that they may save their time and due respect.

Thank you.
yours sincerely,

*Adv. T. Hubertson,*

*Advocate & Commissioner of Oaths.*

Mobile: 0524780065.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3976490