Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order 9505650732
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 03:51:30 +0000

Hi Ali Atef,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order 9505650732 Hi

I placed my order on 30 September 2021 and before confirming the order I
checked date of delivery which was confirmed for 2 October.

I only confirmed this order because of the guarantee of delivery on 2
October as I am flying home on 3 October at 6am.

I was not given any notice that my package will not be delivered today (2
October) until I called the contact centre and then found out it will be
rescheduled for tomorrow.

This is unacceptable as I will be out of the country and will be unable to
get the package.

My son has been so excites to receive these items and now I have to leave
without it. Very disappointing.

Can you courier it to South Africa at your cost for delivery and customs
clearance since you had guaranteed delivery by 2 October and then not
delivered in time.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3176062