Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order No : 9676128634
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 05:14:59 +0000

Hi Ali Atef,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order No : 9676128634 Hi team,

I have had the worst experience any one can imagine, the travel system
which was part of the subject ordered was never delivered to the pick up
store. Even after multiple complaints and conversations with your so called
"customer service" it has all been in vain as everyone in your team do a
blame game including the staff at the store.

Currently no one has a clue on where the item is, all I keep hearing that
it's on its way.

I have already bought another travel system so I ask for this to be
cancelled and the refund to be processed on priority basis.

If I don't hear from your team with in 48hrs. I will take this up with the
consumer court.

Regards,
Supriya Rane
M. 0529165185

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2862978