Subject: Ticket Assigned - Worst Promotion Ever - Dalma Mall
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 08:07:09 +0000

Hi Ali Atef,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Worst Promotion Ever - Dalma Mall The worst promotion ever by max fashions, Dalma mall forcing each Walkin
customer to install the max app to promote the 20 % off and then failing to
keep up the promise on click to collect..

Customers Walkin to store for touch and feel the cloth, trial it and buy
it. No one walks in to make order from the mobile app from the store and to
wait for 2-3 days to get the confirmation for pick up..

What’s the logic behind this?… you give 20% off and customer walks in to
store and make the purchase using max mobile app and then go back
home(travel expense) and then come back again (travel expense) to collect
it… customer has to spend more money on travel to get this 20%…?

Kindly clarify… I was assisted by a salesman that it would take 20 mins to
pick it up from the store(since I am already there with the items I wanted
to purchase) if I checkout from the app.. once I have paid, they asked me
to wait for 1 hour and then they informed it May take 2-3 days …

I need an explanation on this.. not an apology…

Regards
Franklin Xavier
0509093982

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2868126