Subject: Ticket Assigned - Missing Items in Return Process
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 12:30:25 +0000

Hi Ali Atef,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Missing Items in Return Process Hello Support,

Concerning my order no:*6318483591*, I have returned the below 3 items and
received a refund only for 2 as listed below.

1. Braided Texture Loafers with Pull Tabs- *Not Received*
2. Glitter Detailed Mary Jane Shoes with Elastic Strap and Bow Accent-
*Received*
3. Solid Walking Shoes with Hook and Loop Closure- *Received*.

3 days ago. I  had contacted your customer support through telephone and
they informed me that the warehouse hasn't received the 1st item and they
will recheck and confirm within 3 days.

Please note that I have submitted all the 3 items in 2 different airway
bill through Aramex and I even called the pickup the guy again and he
confirmed me that he received 3 items and he delivered it to you. So,
please recheck it at your end and process my refund.

Thank you,
Nadeem
0537726187

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2790824