Subject: Ticket Assigned - Disappointed on receiving the wrong item twice , need the ordered product within 1-2 days
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 04:23:50 +0000

Hi Ali Atef,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Disappointed on receiving the wrong item twice , need the ordered product within 1-2 days *Dear team,*

*I am writing this mail to inform you that on *19 June 2021*, I *ordered  a
''animal print regular fit collard dress with long sleeves'' worth Aed 59,
order No. 9671271644 *but received the *wrong item* , then i was told by
the customer care to reorder the same dress inorder to get the right dress
delivered.Then again I ordered the  same dress on *20 june* with *order
No. 967043775 *but it's very unfortunate that **even on  the second order
the wrong dress was  delivered to me**. The pics of which are attached for
your reference.*
*Twice getting  the wrong products can not be accepted. I had to give that
dress to one of my close *friend* on her birthday but sad to say I couldn't
present her the same on time. . I therefore herewith request you to *send
me the right product* free of charge within 1-2 days on an urgent basis.
The return request of  wrong products received has already been initiated
from my end . *so far* I have received the  return pick up confirmation
for  order  No *967043775   only. Kindly arrange the pick up for order No
9671271644* immediately and please send me the desired dress as soon as
possible.*

*Hope, after so many attempts, the right product will be delivered to me
now.*

*Thanking you in anticipation.*

*Best regards*

*Zeenat Ahmad*
*mobile No. 0565566278*

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2754676