Subject: Ticket Assigned - 4569249652- order number - damaged items pics
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 06:00:16 +0000

Hi Ali Atef,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  4569249652- order number - damaged items pics Contacted

Further to
My conversation with customer care executive

Please find attached the damaged Items pic
1. Pencil case the lights are loose and not in fixed position. As it should
be in the place of head light
2. The trolly bag the lights are in place but the light is very dim and
hardly working doesn’t look like a new product. Also the stitch doesn’t
look neat looks removed .
3. Not sure whether I should mention here, pant was missing and only tshirt
was there in the packet for a pajama set attaching that pic too.
Please initiate for return collection and refund of the money.

*Also note this is just second order online. Yesterday the items were
nicely packed and wrapped in plastic cover and sealed separately but today
it was a mess, the items were not properly folded and not sealed some were
carelessly dumped with missed and damaged items, really disappointed, waste
of time*
*Energy and money*
*Kind regards, *

Gopika devi Sidharth
70166434

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2709926