Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order No.-9657389334.-No Refund Yet
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 11:28:59 +0000

Hi Ali Atef,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order No.-9657389334.-No Refund Yet Dear Team,
                 Please note that I have placed an Order on May 02nd 2021
and you have cancelled one of the items from that Order (that too with-out
checking with us). The Order Reference is 9657389334
<https://www.centrepointstores.com/ae/en/my-account/order/9657389334?utm_source=hybris&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=internal_partial_cancellation_CREDIT_CARD_AE_en>
.

Even after one month and a half, I haven't received my refund. It is very
unfortunate and a pathetic experience. I called up your customer support
once and complained and they informed me that the payment is on the way but
unfortunately till now, i haven't received the refund.

This is not acceptable and i need my refund as soon as possible

Please check & revert

Regards
George Thomas
050-5256501

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2682386