Subject: Ticket Assigned - complain - Online order
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 08:00:21 +0000

Hi Ali Atef,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  complain - Online order Dears respective business
Centerpoint - KSA

I am writing this email to complain about the cancellation of my order that
happened today without any pre notification or reason. order #6227764733
(attached copy order details)

First, I want to know the reason behind this cancellation since no
notification to me by email or message or any missing in the process for
non complete action.

Secondly, Since the order was done on 26 September during the sale prices
the status was under process which means to any one that order under
process (preparing).

Third, After 4 complete working days while today I am checking the order
status it appears as cancelled !!

So, I am escalating now to the support and complaints team to re-process my
order again after verified from my explanation above.

Waiting to hear from you
Regards,
Mohamed Fouda on behalf of Marwa Salah Mostafa

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1542091