Subject: Ticket Assigned - Return Request for Order ID #9418040975
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 16:42:58 +0000

Hi Ali Atef,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Return Request for Order ID #9418040975 Dear babyshop,

I have been in contact with your team to request a return for one of my
orders.
Account name: Rubana Hamid
Order number: #9418040975
Order Date: 07 March 2023
Email: [email-masked]

The item is "Juniors Luna 5-in-1 Baby Rocker."
In the order, two of the items were accidentally purchased and so one of
them was returned.

*Now, I would like to generate a return request for the second "Juniors
Luna 5-in-1 Baby Rocker" as well. This is because the product was defective
and was missing two rods. *

Please guide me onto how I will be able to generate the request and get a
refund.

I have attached a video of the product.

Thanks and regards.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/6093137