Subject: Ticket Assigned - #6820888642 NOT DELIVERED
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 15:46:19 +0000

Hi Ali Atef,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  #6820888642 NOT DELIVERED I have been writing for so many days but the support team is not responding
at all
I called at centrepoint helpline as well they raised a complaint yesterday
still nobody called for delivery
My parcel has still not been delivered
I get the message its out for delivery and then no body calls from the
courier and they just add the reason that customer did not respond
yesterday I got the message out for delivery and after just half an hour
the message came sorry we couldn't deliver and in the tracking the reason
written is wrong phone number
My phone number is active I am recieving orders every day from noon amazon
all other websites ive placed orders from how is ot that only centre point
riders have this problem I have faced this problem twice before as well
from centerpoint very very bad experience of online orders if the support
team cant help us and the courier cannot deliver than dont give the option
of online order and make customers go through all this for days and weeks
and then wrongly accusing the customer for not recieving the calls when
nobody is contacting me at all.
I need my parcel delivered asap please look into the matter how many more
emails and calls do I need to make?
My number is active for calls 0507637258
Its not on whatsapp
Whatsapp number 0535956153

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/6063945