Subject: Ticket Assigned - Broken Item Received - Order Number 9799756792
From: Lifestyle <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 04:49:59 +0000

Hi Rehan Khan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Broken Item Received - Order Number 9799756792 Contacted

Hello,

Please note we had placed an order (Order Number 9799756792) with Lifestyle
for a Two Pair Peacock Figurine on 27-August 2020 on cash on delivery basis.

The item was received today (28-august-2020) and when we opened the
package, we were utterly disappointed to see that the figurine was broken
upon inspection.

I have attached herewith the invoice and pictures of the broken item.

It is the responsibility of the shipper (lifestyle) to check and ensure the
product is in a good condition prior to dispatching the item.

From the picture it is evident that a broken good was packed and shipped to
us.

I would like to get the product replaced at no extra cost or shipping
charges and the same to be collected from my location.

Hope to receive your reply in this matter without any further ado.

With Best Regards,
Abhilash Leeladharan
Mob: +971-50-6581196

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1431700