Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint about online purchase
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 23:06:28 +0000

Hi Rehan Khan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint about online purchase Hello,,

Recently I have made the purchase through centrepoint online platform order
numbers are as follows 9772344818 & 9772153381 .
I order a adidas shoe on both purchases
(https://www.centrepointstores.com/ae/en/p/162173555) of size 42. Both time
I got the size of 43.5 and when I check with the customer care Centre they
are saying that in their systems it shows as 43.5 size but in my
confirmation mail it is clear that I ordered for size 42  (screenshots of
the mail is attached). And I spoke with one of the supervisor from
Al ghurair centrepoint when they check the barcode it shows as 42 size .
They saying that you will get the refund that I know I will get the refund
but we are not purchasing for refunds,
Just remember that thing.
Mistakes can happen once but in this case you did the same mistake twice
that cannot be acceptable as a customer.
I will attach the photo of the product of which I have received  .

Hope that this mail will reach the concerned person and let me know what
action has been
taken regarding this.

This is the worst experience I’ve ever had .

Thanks & regards

Muhammed Sharneem Umar
Ph: +971524984010

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/531969