Subject: Ticket Assigned - Returned
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 03:07:44 +0000

Hi Rehan Khan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Returned Hi there! My name is Joana . I purchased a bed fence rail last February
18,2020 together with the Doll House. On your website there was no
dimension indicated on the fence rail. So opened the box and try to fit but
only to find out  the item is too low, because our mattress is thick, so I
wanted it to exchange with the other model which is also a bit expensive. I
called your customer service and told me to go to any near babyshop store
and could returned the item, but the Cashier said the item is not
returnable on their system so we called your customer service , talked to
Miss Natalia. She was very well informed and nice , she explained. That the
item is not returnable but after listening in my reasoning she said that I
need to send a picture of the item and that they will do returned process
for me. So attached is all a copy of my receipt and the fence rail .

No damage or scratched.

Thank you and waiting for your reply or call.

Sincerely,

Mrs Joana Eloria
-- 
Joana C. Eloria

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/489484