Subject: Ticket Assigned - Shipment
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2019 04:20:42 +0000

Hi Rehan Khan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Shipment Dear,

I ordered from babyshop in November 30th and you have sent me an email that
the shipment will be delivered on two packages
Order number is ( 6455020875)
I received the first one on December 4th which is the thermos
And the second one I didn't receive it till now, I called the call center
in babyshop on December 8th and they said I have to call SHIPA company, I
called SHIPA company and they said that they will call me back if there is
any updates an Noone called me, I kept calling you and SHIPA company to
track the order and No one gave me an answer

Yesterday December 23rd I received only the travel cot joie from the second
shipment, I called babyshop and they said I have to call the shipping
company again " if they wants me to call and track I don't know why they
call themselves helping center"

I called the shipping company and they said this is the o ly box they have
to me.

From December 8th till now I am calling babyshop and SHIPA company to know
when I will receive my order and no one gave me an answer

So if you please give me an answer.... When I will receive my order?!!!!

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/365898