Subject: Ticket Assigned - Turned away from store due to incorrect timings
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2020 22:16:10 +0000

Hi Nikhil Bishnoi,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Turned away from store due to incorrect timings Hello!

I had recently purchased a few items from the Max online to be picked up
from the Max, Khalid Al-Atar Building Store.

My order number is: 9771594681

Upon receiving the confirmation email that my items are ready for pickup, I
was given the store timings as follows:

*Saturday-Wednesday (9AM- 12AM) /  *
*Thursday-Friday(9AM-1AM)*

I've attached the email screenshot for your perusal.

Being informed that the store is open until midnight, I went there at 11 pm
yesterday, only to be informed by the door security that it's closed.

I explained that the timings in my email mention midnight, but they said
it's only for the weekend.

Nonetheless, I was turned away while incurring an arduous waste of time
travelling to the store.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Abdul Aziz.
0529419141

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/505140