Subject: Refund approval - 9516239977
From: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
To: Shakeeb Arsalan <[email-masked]>, Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:10:57 +0530

Hi Team,

Problem Statement: Refund Approval

Order Date : Nov 28, 2021
Order ID:  9516239977
Tracking: FP112921002490
Total Price:  AED 144.10

Issue Description The customer is complaining that he has not received the
shipment. We have shared the attached POD as well with the customer, but
still the customer is coming back to us for the delivery.

Case history: The customer reached out to us on Dec 01 and we have shared
the POD but the customer is still complaining that he has not received the
shipment.

Customer's history: The customer is with us since Oct 2020 and has
completed 6 transactions with us.

Assistance required: We request you to provide refund approval in order to
have the customer refunded manually and close the issue.

Regards,
Nikhil.