Subject: Ticket Assigned - Attn: HR Manager (Employee Verification) - UMESH BHATTARAI
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2020 16:52:56 +0000

Hi Nikhil Bishnoi,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Attn: HR Manager (Employee Verification) - UMESH BHATTARAI Employee Verification

 

Customer Name : UMESH BHATTARAI

Passport No        : 08422562

Nationality          : NEPAL

Company Name : Max Fashion

 Dear Sir/Madam,

We write to you on behalf of Emirates NBD (the "Bank"), in our capacity as
the authorized agent of the Bank.

This is with regard to the referral check of one the Bank's "Customer"
(UMESH BHATTARAI) who is employed with you as per the Bank's records,
provided by the Customer.  We would kindly request you to provide us with
any information/contact details that you may have or can obtain about the
aforesaid Customer, which could assist us in reaching the Customer.

Also requesting to provide us with his / her Labor card number/ Emirates ID#
and the current status of it & would be very kind if you could also provide
us with home country number and references contact details of the Customer.

We thank you in advance for your cooperation & regret any inconvenience
caused to you in this regard.

 

Thanks & Regards,

 Cyren King

TAHSEEL - On Behalf of Emirates NBD | Sharjah, United Arab Emirates | Tel:
(9716) 5930149 | 

Mob#: (971) 525958919 | Email: [email-masked] | U.A.E: Dubai - Sharjah -
Abu Dhabi | Egypt |Qatar | Jordan | India |

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/439339